Past Honours Projects
Below is a list of some of the past projects undertaken within the School, their related Discipline area and supervisor/s.
- Farming Systems
Supervisor Topic Chris Preston
- Genetic diversity in populations of one-leaf Cape tulip using molecular markers.
- Mechanism of herbicide resistance in weeds
- Inheritance of paraquat resistance in annual ryegrass
- Genetic Diversity and Spread of Giant Reed (Arundo donax L.)
- Developmental and nutritional influences on frost damage in wheat
- Increasing grain Zn content in wheat to enhance its nutritive value
- Understanding the limitations to growth in saline-sodic soils
- The importance of root characteristics to drought tolerance in winter cereals
- Understanding the importance of genetic differences in root growth in wheat to adaptation in SA
- Atriplex species as vineyard cover crops
- Native grasses for vineyards and revegetation
- Land use efficiency in novel intercrop mixtures
- Simple solid waste digestion
- Comparison of continuous flow stirred tanks and plug flow anaerobic digesters
- Food & Nutrition
Supervisor Topic Robert Gibson
- Assessment of fatty acid intakes and status of toddlers and pre-schoolers
Kate Watson, Shantell Cox
- The microflora and sensory analysis of San Francisco sourdough produced with two varieties of hard wheat flour.
- The microbial flora of a cooked manufactured meat product through processing and storage
- Transformation of lobster shell into a form suitable for inclusion in food.
- Application of grape seed extract as a preservative in food.
- Plant Breeding & Genetics
Supervisor Topic Darly Mares
- Investigation of genetic, biochemical and molecular mechanisms underlying traits that impact on the quality of wheat
- High lutein wheat for nutritionally enhanced foods
- Regulation of flavonoid synthesis in tissues of developing wheat grains
- Use of flour and germ from high xanthophyll bread wheat for nutritionally improved end-products.
- Linkage disequilibrium and population structure in self-pollinated crop species: a computer simulation study
- Genetic variation in wheat gluten proteins: does it affect human intolerance to gluten?
- Molecular markers in cereal genetics and breeding
- Novel protein alleles from synthetic wheats
- The project aimed to isolate genomic DNA fragments from the T-DNA integration sites of rice enhancer trap transgenic lines that exhibited cell-specific patterns of GFP expression.
- Characterisation of enhancer elements from enhancer trap lines of rice.
- Elements from enhancer trap lines giving cell-specific expression
- Genetics of Meiosis in cereals
- Investigations into the genetic variation in hydration capacity of faba beans and the route of water uptake in the seed
- Infection of Cercospora zonata on faba beans
- Wheat grain tissues and signaling involved in the synthesis of late maturity a-amylase (LMA) compared with á-amylase synthesis in germinating grains
- Temperature during wheat grain development and its effect on induction of late maturity ?-amylase (LMA)
- Sensory quality of different almond cultivars
- Breeding better almonds
- Plant Protection
Supervisor Topic Amanda Able
- Functional analysis of defence genes associated with the modulation of reactive oxygen species in barley
- Identification and analysis of QTL associated with tolerance to oxidative stress in barley
- Identification of a genetic basis for powdery mildew resistance or calcium efficiency in strawberries
- Identification and preliminary characterization of a genetic basis for tolerance to Pyrenophora teres toxins in barley
- Vector status of immune-induced mosquitoes
- Preventing chalkbrood in blue-banded bees
- Latent infection of lentils by Botrytis species
- Ascochyta blight of faba beans: maturation and release of ascospores from stubble
- Behavioural ecology of Lycosid spiders as arthropod predators in Brassica crops
- An investigation of sex allocation in blue banded bees
- Biological control of insects with predators
- Biological control of wheel cactus: genetic diversity of Dactylopius opuntiae and Opuntia rubusta
Dr Ramakrishnan M. Nair (SARDI),
Professor John Randles
- Transfer of Alfalfa mosaic virus coat protein transgenes in Medicago species through artificial hybridization: relevance to resistance breeding.
- Species and strain specific reverse transcription PCR detection of pea seedborne mosaic and wheat streak mosaic viruses
Dr Richard Glatz, Ms Amanda Aloia
- Can plant (Arabidopsis thaliana) G-proteins interact with G-Protein Coupled Receptors?
- Plant Physiology, Viticulture & Horticulture
Supervisor Topic Prof Roger Leigh, Dr Matthew Gilliham
- Molecular physiology of cell specific nutrient storage in leaves (6 projects)
- 1-MCP treatment of strawberries: effects on post-harvest grey mould development and quality of fruit.
- Physiological and molecular characterization of the effect of 1-MCP on banana-ripening processes
- Understanding the physiological & molecular basis of biotic stress, grain development & postharvest changes
- Genetic and chemical studies of muntries to improve fruit quality
- Identifying QTLs for sustainable agriculture using Medicago truncatula mapping populations
- Development of molecular markers for “bar-coding” selections of Kunzea pomifera for the muntries native food industry
- Management of lateral shoot development in a cool climate
- How do plant growth regulators affect the grapevine flowering process?
- Characterisation of nitrate transport in grapevines.
- Influence of root development and abiotic soil stress on molybdenum nutrition in Merlot
- Molecular and physiological characterisation of ammonium transport in plants
- Functional analysis of the ammonium efflux transporter AtAMT1;4
- RNAi silencing of PBM transport proteins in nitrogen fixing soybean nodules
- Grapevine Nitrogen Uptake and Metabolism
- Improving Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Plants
- Characterisation of commercial yeast strains for their ability to release and convert volatile thiols in Sauvignon Blanc
- Grapevine petioles: hydraulic fuses controlled by aquaporins?
- Novel techniques to measure vine water stress
- Berry cell death: an important phase in ripening and flavour development?