17th Australian Nitrogen Fixation Conference 2014
|Date||28 September - 2 October|
|Location||The University of Adelaide & SARDI, Waite Precinct, Urrbrae, South Australia|
The 17th Australian Nitrogen Fixation Conference was held at the Waite Precinct, Urrbrae South Australia. The meeting was co-hosted by the Australian Society for Nitrogen Fixation, the University of Adelaide and SARDI.
N2 fixation: reaping the benefits of basic and applied research.
The conference will consist of 2.5 days of oral presentations, a student poster session, a field day visiting research sites in the Mid-North of SA with lunch in the Clare Valley wine region, and a conference dinner.
We welcome papers on topics including, but not restricted to, the following:
- The diversity and ecology of Nitrogen-fixing organisms
- Molecular genetics and mechanisms of Nitrogen-fixation
- N-fixing symbioses
- Nitrogen fixation in the environment and in agricultural systems
- Increasing fixed N in farming systems: new messages for industry
The conference proceedings are available for download here.
Prizes for conference presentations by students or early career researchers:
SUNFix generously awarded two $500 prizes from the Alan Gibson Fund for students or early career researchers. The prize for the best oral presentation went to April Hastwell from the University of Queensland and the prize for the best poster presentation was awarded to Mary Atieno from the University of Sydney.
Media exposure for the conference can be viewed / listened to here:
- Professor Barbara Reinhold-Hurek, Head, Department of Microbe-Plant Interactions, University of Bremen, Germany: Molecular plant-bacteria interactions
- Dr Euan James, The James Hutton Institute, Dundee, Scotland: Plant electron microscopy and Nitrogen fixation
- Dr Michael Russelle, U.S. Dairy Forage Research Center, USDA-ARS, St Paul MN USA: Legumes and Nitrogen management on farm
South Australian Grains Industry Trust