Adelaide Glycomics will support fundamental and applied aspects of Glycoscience research by enabling the fine characterisation of glycans from any biological origin and at every structural level, from sugar composition to 3-dimensional organisation, reactivity, function and physico-chemical properties.
Adelaide Glycomics has the capacity to work with partners and form long term collaborations utilising our highly-qualified team of analysts and suite of high-end instruments. Our capacities and capabilities cover a range of highly specific ‘omic' analyses and corresponding complex data analysis, as detailed below.
Primary Analytical Capacities & Instrumentation
- Molecular weight determination of polysaccharides and molecular dimensions and geometry of biopolymers, including polysaccharides and proteins
(Instrument) Agilent 1260 Infinity Multi-Detector Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) / Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC) System
- High molecular weight polysaccharides; e.g., alginates, fucoidans, cellulose, pectins, etc Instrument is inert to harsh solvents such as DMSO or DMF/LiCl
- Monosaccharide and linkage analyses after derivatization into alditol acetates
(Instrument) Agilent 7890B/5977B Gas Chromatograph/Mass Selective Detector & FID (GCMS 1)
- Plant cell walls (wild-type and mutants); algal polysaccharides; carbohydrates from agricultural waste products; fungal cell walls; yeast from wine sciences; and many others
- Monosaccharide and Linkage analyses of amino/N-acetylated sugars after derivatization into alditol acetates (requires different column and settings than for other monosaccharides)
(Instrument) Agilent 7890B/5977B Gas Chromatograph/Mass Selective Detector & FID (GCMS 2)
- Same as above, but for samples that contain amino/N acetylated sugars; typically fungal cell walls, N-glycans, proteoglycans
- MSn analysis. High throughput sample screening with highly sensitive detection and accurate mass assignment
(Instrument) Agilent 6500 Series Quadrupole Time-of-Flight LC/MS System coupled 1260 Series HPLC stack (LC-QTOF)
- Oligosaccharide separation and mass determination; Enzymatic fingerprinting of complex polysaccharides, e.g. from plant cell walls and other when corresponding specific enzymes are available; glycan “sequencing” by MSn
- Quantitative analysis of glycoconjugates and other metabolites, secondary (glycosylated) metabolites; Analysis of High Mass-to-charge Peptide Ions, MRM quantification with the generation of product ion spectrum for library searching and compound screening and confirmation
(Instrument) 6495B Triple Quadrupole LC/MS System coupled to 1290 Series HPLC (LC-QQQ).
- Bioactive compounds from complex media that contain minute amounts of glycoconjugates and other types of glycosylated/non-glycosylated secondary metabolites over a large dynamic range (>108-109)
- Separation and analysis of isobaric compounds from low to very high molecular weight; collision cross-section determination of biomolecules including macromolecules.
(Instrument) Agilent 6560 Ion Mobility QTOF/MS coupled with the Agilent 1290 Infinity II UHPLC
- Isobaric primary & secondary metabolites, glycans, proteins and large multi-molecular Complexes.