The Cereal Cytogenetics Laboratory has produced an extensive set of alien chromosome addition, substitution, translocation and recombinant lines carrying genes conferring resistance/tolerance to biotic stresses or abiotic stresses.
The alien species under study include accessions in Aegilops, Agropyron (Thinopyrum), Amblyopyrum, Hordeum, Secale, Triticum and triticale (xTriticosecale).
The laboratory also maintains an extensive collection of classical cytogenetical stocks accumulated over the past half century. Dr Rafiqul Islam has produced the first set of wheat-barley chromosome addition lines. Subsequently, Dr Islam produced telocentric addition and substitution lines involving barley chromosomes in a wheat background and also wheat-barley translocation and recombinant lines.
- Resistance Genes to Biotic Stresses derived from species related to wheat
- (Puccinia graminis f. sp. tritici) derived from existing translocations or found in uncultivated germplasm
- Sr26 recombinants involving the 6Ae#1 chromosome derived from Thinopyrum ponticum
- Sr32/ SrAes1t recombinants involving the 2S#1 chromosome derived from Aegilops speltoides
- Sr37 recombinants involving the 4G#1 chromosome derived from Triticum timopheevii
- Sr39 recombinants involving the 2S#2 chromosome derived from Aegilops speltoides
- Sr40 recombinants involving the 2G#2 chromosome derived from Triticum timopheevii
- Sr44 recombinants involving the 7Ai#1 chromosome derived from Thinopyrum intermedium
- Sr50 recombinants involving the 1R chromosome derived from Secale cereale cv. Imperial
- SrAes3t recombinants involving the 2S chromosome derived from wild diploid accession Aegilops speltoides AEG357-4
- SrAes4t, SrAes5t and SrAes6t lines involving 2S chromosomes derived from wild diploid accessions or amphiploids involving Aegilops speltoides
- SrThp1t involving the 6Ae chromosome derived from wheat-Thinopyrum ponticum amphiploid OK7211542
- SrTt3 line involving the 2G#3 chromosome derived from Triticum timopheevii
- Leaf rust resistance
(Puccinia recondita f. sp. tritici) found in uncultivated germplasm
LrAes1t involving 2S chromosome derived from Aegilops speltoides AEG357-4
LrAmm1t involving 6T chromosome derived from CS/Amblyopyrum muticum TA8024 amphiploid
LrAesr1t involving 5Ss chromosome derived from CS/Aegilops searsii TE10
- Stripe rust resistance
- Cereal Cyst Nematode resistance